Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Why GMO's don't faze me.

My dad is a farmer. He grows lots of GMO's. Fields and fields full of GMO's.

I am a veterinarian. I studied lots of science. Years and years of science.

I'm not fazed by this GMO hype that you will read about in the news and social media. I can hardly believe that it is even considered news. You see, genentically modified foods have been studied for decades. In fact, isolating specific genes in plants in order for them to be combined in a lab started back in 1953! In 1982, the FDA approved the first GMO. Another fun fact? GMO's  are one of the most extensively studied scientific subjects in all of history!

Critics of GMO's will often claim that research is scarce. That we don't know enough about the effect on the environment or human safety. The truth? Scientists around the world have reviewed, studied, collaborated and have come to the conclusion that GMO crops are as safe as conventional or organic foods. A group of Italian scientists have recently come out with a review of over 1700 studies on the human and environmental safety of GMO's.

You don't have to take my word for it. After all, I am a scientist and a farmer's daughter. Maybe that's why the anti-GMO posts really grind my gears. My dad doesn't want to feed the world. In reality, he just enjoys working outside and is diligently protecting the soil that my brother will raise his family on. Luckily for you and me, scientists have developed GMO's so that he can feed the world. Not all of us want to raise food, but we all need to eat. I can't wait to read the blog posts in 2050 when there are 9 billion mouths to feed!

Stating my opinion on the GMO topic does not mean that you should be convinced. I hope this simply stirs up some conversation among colleagues, drives you to research the topic from both sides, or sparks you to chat with your kids about what they've heard or learned.   

Other Pro-GMO articles you might enjoy:

Forbe's Editorial by Jon Entine
Rebecca Rupp's I'm Pro-GMO and Here's Why

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails